How your dentists in Ajax, ON, can help you fight gum disease
Gum disease is sneaky. In fact, many people have the condition and don't even know it. Fortunately, your dentist can help. Drs. Jafarpour, Kwong, and Elhaddad here at Ajax Dental Centre in Ajax, ON, offer comprehensive dental care, including treatment for gum disease, to their patients—read on to learn more.
Gum Disease and How We Can Help
You can develop gum disease if you aren’t practicing proper oral hygiene, because gum disease is caused by plaque and bacteria accumulation. The bacteria in plaque produce toxins that cause inflammation, infection, and gum disease. You may have gum disease if you notice:
- Light to moderate bleeding when you brush, floss, or eat
- Gums that are puffy, swollen, and have lost their normal contours
- Gums that are red, irritated, and painful
- Frequent bad breath or a sour taste in your mouth
The signs and symptoms listed above can be completely reversed if you start a program of excellent oral hygiene. You need to:
- Brush after meals and before you go to sleep
- Floss at least once each day, every day
- Visit your dentist every six to twelve months for a dental examination, including x-rays
- Visit your dental hygienist every six to twelve months for a professional dental cleaning
If you have gum disease that goes untreated, the infection that starts in your gums can progress to the bone, fibers, and ligaments that hold your teeth in place. Once you have lost bone around your teeth, you now have periodontal disease, the most common reason for tooth loss.
Concerned? Give Us a Call
By practicing excellent oral hygiene and regularly visiting your dentist and dental hygienist, you can fight gum disease and enjoy a healthy smile again. To learn more about gum disease prevention and treatment, call the dentists of Ajax Dental Centre in Ajax, ON, by dialing (905) 426-8304.