Posts for category: Dental Implants
Missing teeth give your smile more than just a gap; this seemingly simple issue can cause problems such as bone atrophy and shifting teeth. A dental implant boasts many benefits and can replace your missing tooth and its root to give you back your tooth’s functionality and fill in your gap. Read on to learn more about dental implants, and call Dr. Saeid Jafarpour, Dr. Kevin Kwong, and Dr. Azza Elhaddad at Ajax Dental Center in Ajax, ON, for personal treatment!
What is a dental implant?
Dental implants are made up of three separate segments: the implant’s titanium screw-like fixture, the tooth-shaped prosthetic, and an abutment which connects the two main parts. Dental implants are unique in that the fixture is placed directly into the jawbone under a missing tooth, where it integrates during the healing process. The bone grows around the fixture and holds it securely in place, providing a solid foundation for the prosthetic.
Types of Dental Implants
Dental implants have several forms which can work together depending on the needs of the patient:
- Single tooth replacement: A dental implant can replace a single tooth using one fixture.
- Multiple tooth replacement: Multiple tooth implant gives you the option to replace more than one tooth in one fell swoop. With this method, one fixture on either side of a gap holds a bridge-like porcelain restoration in place.
- Implant-supported denture: Patients missing all or most of the teeth on an arch can benefit from an implant-supported denture. Four or more implants throughout the arch hold a full or partial denture in place.
Dental Implants From Our Ajax Office
If you have a gap in your smile, you can benefit from dental implants. However, this treatment is not for everyone. Patients should have an adequate bone volume in the area of the implant. Additionally, they should have a strong at-home oral care routine with which to keep their teeth and gums healthy and free from decay or gum disease.
For more information on dental implants, please contact Dr. Saeid Jafarpour, Dr. Kevin Kwong, and Dr. Azza Elhaddad at Ajax Dental Center in Ajax, ON. Call (905) 426-8304 to schedule your appointment with your dentist today!
Dental implants can fill in your gaps to keep your smile strong and healthy for years to come. However, understanding how this tooth replacement option works and how it can benefit you is key to determining if it is the best dental treatment for your missing teeth. Find out more about dental implants with Dr. Saeid Jafarpour, Dr. Kevin Kwong, and Dr. Azza Elhaddad at Ajax Dental Centre in Ajax in Ajax, ON.
Parts of a Dental Implant
- Implant Fixture: An implant fixture is a small, screw-like post which your dentist places directly into a hole they create in the jawbone below the socket of your missing tooth. During the several months after placement, the bone grows around the fixture, incorporating it into the natural structure of your mouth and anchoring it into place.
- Abutment: Depending on the implant system your dentist uses, the abutment is either a fixed part of the implant fixture or placed onto the fixture at a later stage. The abutment securely connects the fixture to the prosthetic tooth.
- Prosthetic: The prosthetic is a porcelain dental restoration, usually either a crown, bridge, or denture, which a dental laboratory customizes based on a clay impression of your mouth. The porcelain comes in many colors and has a lifelike look, reflecting light the same as a natural tooth’s enamel. Once completed, your implant will look, feel, and function just like a natural tooth.
The Dental Implant Process in Ajax, ON
Your dentist will require you to visit their office several times during the process to place your implant and prosthetic tooth. However, the implant will last a lifetime with the proper care, making this initial investment of time well worth the effort. The first phase of your implant process will be to take a clay impression of your mouth and place the implant fixtures into the jawbone. After placement, your mouth will require several months of healing to effectively anchor the fixtures into place. Then, your dentist reopens the gum tissue to attach the abutment to the fixture, which then holds the prosthetic securely in place thanks to its sturdy foundation.
For more information on keeping your dental implants strong and healthy, please contact Dr. Saeid Jafarpour, Dr. Kevin Kwong, and Dr. Azza Elhaddad at Ajax Dental Centre in Ajax in Ajax, ON. Call (905) 426-8304 to schedule your appointment with your doctor today!